Manchester United Football Club Blog: Beckham: I didn't want to leave United

Monday 5 October 2009

Beckham: I didn't want to leave United


Former Manchester United midfielder David Beckham says he wishes he could have spent his entire career at Old Trafford. 


The 34-year-old made 265 league appearances for the Red Devils from 1993-2003, winning six Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League.
Beckham's relationship with manager Sir Alex Ferguson gradually deteriorated after a famous incident in February 2003 with Ferguson kicking a boot at Beckham in the changing room that left the midfielder needing stitches above his eye.
He departed for Real Madrid just five months later, spending four years in Spain before joining LA Galaxy and later AC Milan on loan.
But the England winger has confessed that, ideally, he would have chosen to see out his playing days in a United shirt.
“I always said that if I’d had my choice, I would never have left Manchester United because that was where I always wanted to start my career and finish it,” he told the Daily Mail.
“Then I had to look at it in a different way.
“I’d been there over 10 years and been really successful and had amazing times and made so many great friends.”
And England's record appearance holder for an outfield player with 114 caps revealed that the Old Trafford atmosphere remains the best he has experienced in his career.
“Every time I’ve played at Old Trafford, whether for United, Real Madrid or England, the fans have been the best I’ve ever had,” he said.
“Everyone knows that’s what got me through what happened against Argentina, with my friends, my family and the manager.
“I will never forget that. In my eyes they are the best in the world, without a doubt.”

No comments:

Search This Blog